You need car insurance to get behind the wheel of a car and drive on a public road in Cyprus – that’s the law. That’s why Private Auto Insurance is suitable for owners of privately used cars who wish to cover their legal liability to third parties.
Which types of car insurance are available?
There are three main policy levels;
- Comprehensive car insurance
This is the highest level of insurance. It includes third party, fire & theft and covers the cost of repairing or replacing your car if it’s involved in an accident or damaged with malicious intent.
- Third Party Liability, Fire & Theft
Pay out to a third party if you’re involved in an accident, this level of cover also protects your car from damage caused by fire or theft. However, it doesn’t cover the cost if your car’s damaged in another way.
- Third Party Liability
This is the most basic level of cover required by law. If you’re involved in an accident, there will be a pay out to the other driver involved but you won’t be able to claim for damage to your car.
What does Private Auto Insurance cover?
- Own damage from accident (at your own fault).
- The covers included in Third Party Liability, Fire & Theft cover, and Third Party Liability cover.
- Damage to your car from natural perils (earthquake, flood, hail, storm, tempest) and other natural perils which are not specifically excluded.
- Damage to your car from social perils. (riot, civil commotion, malicious act, vandalism).
- Extension for loss of use of the car, €25 per day up to 10 days in the event of an approved claim.
- New car replacement (for vehicles less than a year old).
- Key replacement due to key theft or accidental damage to your car’s locks, up to €250.
- Loss or damage to your personal belongings up to €170.
- Accidental damage to your windscreen up to €800 (without applying any excess)
The overall limit of this cover is the market value or the value of your car as declared to us by you, whichever is less.
Third Party Liability
Third Party Liability, Fire & Theft:
- Loss or damage to your car caused directly by fire or theft, up to the market value or the value of your car as declared to us by you, whichever is less.
- The cover included in the section below.
Third Party Liability:
- Your legal liability, and that of authorised drivers and passengers, to third parties as required by law, up to €36,350,000 (for personal injuries and loss of life) and €1,220,000 (for property damage), for damage caused by the use of your car, including when used beyond the road or carrying a trailer.
- Emergency treatment, up to €35.
- Personal accident to an authorized driver €8,500 for certain bodily injuries set out in the policy.
- Medical expenses of authorized driver and passengers up to €850.
- 24 hours road assistance.
- 24 hours accident assistance.
- Your third party liability, within the limits mentioned above, when driving another car (For individuals only).
- Accidental damage to your windscreen up to €500
Which type of car insurance is best?
While the amount of cover you get depends on which level you choose, Comprehensive offers the most cover while Third Party offers the least.
One important feature is that the policy does not exclude driving in the occupied areas of Cyprus, irrespective of cover.